Have you considered putting a cedar shingle roof over your new home? Read on and discover some of the strengths and the benefits of this roofing material.
1. It has a unique appearance. The natural variance in cedar ensures that no two cedar roofs will look alike. Additionally, the cedar will fade to a grayish-silver colour that is very attractive. You can therefore be sure that you will have a unique roof if you use this material on your house.
2. Ease of installation. Cedar shingles are very light. This makes them ideal for installation on any type of roof frame. It is for this reason that many people choose them when it is time to change the roofs on their houses.
3. They are efficient insulators. Cedar roofs are poor conductors of heat. This makes them ideal for thermal insulation. People who use this roofing material may spend less to heat or cool their homes when compared to others who use roofing materials such as aluminium.
4. It is affordable. Cedar shingles are one of the most affordable roofing materials. The long-term cost of this roof can come down even further if you maintain it well. For instance, you need to add preservatives to protect it from the ravages of moss and mildew after you have cleaned the roof.
1. It requires specialists. Cedar roofs require skilled personnel to install them properly. This need for specialised installers can raise the cost of the roof in case you live in an area where roofing contractors who have experience in installing this material are lacking.
2. It is hard to match damaged shingles. The uniqueness of cedar roofs brings with it a disadvantage. Once a shingle is damaged, it is very hard to match the new one to the existing ones because the two will have aged differently. This can make your roof to have two shades of the same colour of roof.
3. They are susceptible to fires. Cedar shingles can easily catch fire if special measures are not taken to increase their fire resistance. Many homeowners incur the additional cost of asking suppliers to impregnate the shingles with fire retardants before the roof is installed.
Research cedar roofs in your area before you make a decision to install this roof. Roofing contractors can be very helpful in availing you all the information that will enable you to make an informed decision about this material.